Our kaupapa: supporting whānau to thrive
Our dream at Parenting Place is for Aotearoa New Zealand to be a place where every whānau thrives and every child feels deeply loved. In fact, we believe that healthy, loving families can transform society.
As New Zealand’s largest parenting organisation – reaching over 400,000 families every year – we’re passionate about walking alongside parents and young people. We recognise that every relationship grows stronger with support, encouragement and nurturing. For us, this is the heart of whanaungatanga.
It’s a vision for whānau to be a place where we are connected and belong, where we are listened to and are heard, feel safe and are trusted, where we can fail and be forgiven, are enjoyed and pursued, respected as individuals, challenged and believed in, and have hope for our future.
Established in 1993, Parenting Place now has 120 staff and 585 volunteers nationwide, and develops and delivers innovative, fun and accessible programmes, including:
- Parenting courses: Toolbox and Building Awesome Whānau – tools for the epic parenting journey (0-18 years)
- Intensive coaching: one-on-one parenting and relationship strategies for the twists and turns of family life, offered via phone, Skype, email or in person.
- Media and events: inspiration and advice through social and traditional media channels – TV, radio, social media, videos, articles, magazines, and resources – plus large-scale parenting and student events.
- Dynamic in-school education: Attitude programme – head and heart skills for students and their whānau. Parenting Place is the largest health curriculum provider in NZ schools.
- Postnatal support: in October 2017, Parenting Place successfully integrated Space NZ Trust’s ‘Space for you and your baby‘ into our organisation. These innovative Early Years (0-15 months) parenting groups are delivered nationwide through partner organisations such as Playcentres, ECEs and churches.
We recognise that our vision for every family and whānau in Aotearoa to flourish, will be expressed in rich, diverse and community specific-ways. Therefore, a key focus of our work is to walk alongside communities, family and whānau, and their tamariki, to listen well and serve their aspirations. Ideally, this involves the co-design and contextualisation of any approach we develop – always prioritising the best way to meet the identified needs and hopes of each community we’re engaging with.
Parenting with Confidence was founded in 1993 by Ian and Mary Grant who were compelled by their deep Christian faith. They sought to outwork this desire to love others and leave the world a better place than they found it by equipping and encouraging parents to grow great family relationships. In all Parenting with Confidence did there was a heart of humility, love, generosity and service.Read an article Book a live workshop Order parenting resources